Reality Whore: the reality

These days, anyone with a camera crew and air time can become a reality star, sometimes with devestating consequences. Recently, a little Detroit girl lost her life during the filming of a reality police show. Her community is grief stricken.

Now comes Mel B, aka Scary Spice, announcing a new reality show charting everyday life with her and her family. Big whoop. Can't wait to see how they sit around the TV dissing old SNL episodes featuring "Gumby, Damn It," and "Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood." Better yet, maybe Posh and Becks will pop in. I can see it now. Look who dropped by for tea and crumpets. My goodness Posh is ungodly thin! Are she and Mel B comparing fake bosoms or slapping an impromptu body bump ?

Mass proliferation of the reality genre has gotten so bad, it has ordinary shlubs like me thinking we're perfectly capable of conceiving and executing our own reality fare. Makes no difference that our lives are positively boring and nondescript, we also want to cash in before the network money well runs dry.

That's why I've gone to the time and trouble to create my own reality series, albeit a cartoon, affectionately titled "Reality Whore." The premise revolves around two unidentified losers (names to be established at a later date) who graduate from college without job prospects or a real future. Out of nowhere, one of them decides his destiny lies in Hollywood as the executive producer of a new reality series (don't ask me what or why).






REALITY WHORE by Cheryl Taragin


Okay, so the artwork is rather crude and the dialogue annoyingly fuzzy, but as an inaugural episode, I've seen worse. Naturally, I'll go back to the drawing board before posting a second installment, meaning, unlike the awful rendering above, I will not use Paint as my modus operandi. For now, however, simple clarification of the loser reparte should make amends:

Loser One: Hey dude, now that we've graduated from college what's next?

Loser Two: I thought I'd take a pilot trip to Hollywood, you know... Maybe start my own reality show, that sort of thing.

Loser One: How's that gonna go down?

Loser Two: Get some smoke'n hotties together with one or two crazy bimbos and some networks execs. It can't be too difficult ...

Loser One: How ya gonna do that?

Loser Two: I dunno. Throw some kind of kick ass party, I guess.

Loser One: Awesome! I'm invited, right?

Loser Two: I'll have to get back to you.

Bah-dah-bum.


Read the next issue of "Reality Whore" at the link.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

Kelly said...

I personally am not a fan of reality TV. I actually haven't had TV for about 4 years now, and when I go somewhere that has, I am in awe at how many reality shows there are!!! I am not sure what that says about our society, but am pretty sure it is not good!!!

Post a Comment

I relish your feedback